Employment Opportunity at Embassy of Ireland, Freetown
Since establishing a mission in 2005 in Sierra Leone, Irish Aid has had a strong focus on nutrition & food security, gender and governance. Irish Aid works with various implementing partners, including government, international organisations, and NGOs. In addition to funding support, Irish Aid plays a significant role in policy dialogue, provides technical support and acts as the lead donor on gender and nutrition in Sierra Leone.
Irish Aid currently has a vacancy for the following full-time post:
Senior Advisor – Nutrition and Food Security
Irish Aid focuses on reducing under nutrition through nutrition sensitive and specific interventions, working closely with Government and UN and NGO partners nationwide.
The senior nutrition and food security advisor will be overseen by the Head of Mission and work under the direct supervision of the Head of Development. The advisor will also provide technical advice to nutrition and food security related programming in Liberia as required. In due course the advisor may manage one junior advisor and will work closely with other colleagues within the Embassy and across all pillars of the country programme.
Key areas of Responsibility include:
- Partner Management
- Strategic Direction, Technical Support and Learning
- Policy Dialogue and Coordination
- Liaison with Irish Aid globally
Required Qualifications for each post
- Relevant post graduate qualification in nutrition and or public health.
- 5 years post qualification experience including significant work in the nutrition and food security sector would be an advantage.
- In-depth understanding of programme cycle management, including monitoring, evaluation and learning.
- Experience in policy dialogue and provision of technical support.
- The candidate should be highly motivated with a proven ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- High standard in English, both spoken and written.
- Commitment to Irish Aid’s values.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft suite of applications.
- Previous experience working with an international organisation is desirable.
Irish Aid is offering a 2-year renewable contract following an initial probationary period of six months. The salary, which is non-negotiable, is set according to a scale, the starting point of which is SLL 26,895,972 gross per month, payable in Leones (approx. €3,362 at the current exchange rate).
Detailed job descriptions for this position is available on request via email to: davida.macauley[at]dfa[dot]ie
To apply for this position please forward a covering letter of no more than one page which demonstrates relevant experience pertaining to the required qualifications. The letter should be accompanied by your Curriculum Vitae detailing qualifications and work experience to date.
Applications should be received not later than the closing date of 22 May 2017. Applications to be sent by e-mail to davida.macauley[at]dfa[dot]ie or hand delivered to the Embassy of Ireland, 8 St Joseph’s Avenue, off Spur Road, Freetown, Sierra Leone. Envelopes should be clearly marked Application for Senior Advisor – Nutrition and Food Security. Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted. Both Sierra Leonean and non-Sierra Leonean applicants are welcome to apply.
Please note that canvassing will disqualify applicants.
The Embassy of Ireland is committed to a Policy of Equal Opportunity.